Monday, April 4, 2011

Orange Orzo Pasta

Hello all and happy Monday to you!  I hope you enjoyed your weekend.  The weather was beautiful!  Justin and I got to take Derek, Becky and Nolan's family pics Sat. and we had lots of fun.  I will try and have some pics up by Friday for you to look at.  They are a gorgeous family.  We love them lots.

Well...here is your first recipe of many for your LonieMae Cookbook.  I was watching Rachel Ray the other day and wanted to try this Orzo Pasta she made.  Hers was a little different than what I have here.  I had never used Orzo before, but I really love it.  I quickly learned that you can use it in many different ways.  It is a great cold summer pasta.  I kinda went crazy with ingredients!

Here are a few pics of how it turned out.






Here's what you need:

Orzo Pasta (I used a 1 lb. bag and used half of it...it made enough for four people)
Orange
Lemon
Fresh Parsley
Bacon
Onion (red or white)
Garbanzo Beans
Block Cheese (your favorite kind)...I used Colby Jack
Feta Cheese
Olive Oil
Salt


Cook Orzo in boiling water. Drain and rinse.
Chop up Fresh Parsley (a cluster...to taste)
Cook Bacon til crispy.
Dice 1/4 of an Onion. (or more to taste)
Drain and rinse Garbanzo Beans.
Cut cheese in very small cubes.

In a bowl, place Onions, Feta, and Parsley. Add Orzo to bowl. (It is good when it's still warm so it can melt the feta a little bit). After this sets for a couple minutes, add the rest of the ingredients(leave bacon out). Squeeze half an orange over the pasta. Squeeze a lemon over the pasta. (a lime would be good too). Tear bacon in small pieces and sprinkle on top. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top and add some salt to taste.

I served this meal with orange slices and some tasty seasoned chicken, cooked on the stove-top. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!






No comments:

Post a Comment